Saturday 23 June 2012

NHL Draft: Hodges & Nelson

Two Victoria Royals forwards were selected in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft

Steven Hodges
Steven Hodges by the Florida Panthers in the 3rd round 84th overall, and Logan Nelson by the Buffalo Sabres in the fifth round, 133rd overall.


Wes Myron from Victoria, who played for the Grizzlies was drafted by Vancouver in the 6th round 177 overall.
 
Steven becomes the first ever Victoria Royals’ player to be drafted to the NHL.

“I’m very excited to be drafted by the Florida Panthers, it’s taken a lot of hard work but I also have to stay level,” Hodges said, “there’s still a lot of hard work ahead of me…my goal is to play in the NHL and I’ll keep pursuing that dream."

Hodges reacts to being selected:


Hodges on how he found out:



Hodges on being the first Royal taken:



Hodges on what's next:


Logan Nelson, who has received an invite to the 2012 US National Junior Evaluation Camp in August, became the second Royals player to be drafted into the NHL.

"This is just a special day for my family and me," Nelson said. "To see the emotion and reactions on the faces of families and friends when I was chosen is a moment I'll never forget. The Buffalo Sabres are a first class organization and I am excited to be a part of their program."