Tuesday 27 August 2013

Phillips & Jarratt Sign, Update on Soy & Magee

The Victoria Royals signed their two second round 2013 Bantam picks.  15 year old Forward Matthew Phillips (33rd) and defenceman Ralph Jarratt (37th) were inked to WHL Standard Players’ Agreements Tuesday.

Matt Phillips
Phillips was recently shortlisted for his province’s Under-16 squad as he made Team Alberta’s list in preparation for the 2013 Western Canada U-16 Challenge Cup. The 15 year old 5’6 and 130 lb forward had 40 goals and 77 points with the Calgary Bisons last season.

“I’m a two way forward and I like to use my speed to my advantage.  Chances are I’m not going bull someone over but I like to win battles…”

Grant Armstrong, the Royals Director of Player Personnel knows Phillips can take of himself.

“He’s been outstanding (Rookie Camp), everything bounces off of him he’s just an electrifying little player…it’s fun to watch.”

Ralph Jarratt
Reargaurd Ralph Jarratt tallied 29 points (3g-26a) and 66 penalty minutes in 28 games with Pursuit of Excellence last year.   He models himself after Chicago Blackhawks Duncan Keith, who gave his team a speech in Penticton once, and has followed him ever since.

“I’m a stay at home, shut down defenseman.  I can contribute offensively…I’ve become more physical over the past year.”

The 6’2 175 lb Fort St. John native grew up helping out on the family hay farm.

He plans on returning to play for the POE.

“I really enjoyed it there, good training, good coaches.”

Tyler Soy
Last year’s first round selection, 16 year old forward Tyler Soy (8th overall ’12) is eager to crack the Royals line up this season after a great showing at the U-17 Team Pacific Summer Camp in Calgary.

“Our Team Red won 3 of the 4 games…I scored a couple goals and got a some assists, but overall our team just played really well.”

Soy suited up along side fellow first round pick, defenseman defenseman Chaz Reddekopp.

“I think we’re going to have a really good team this year, hopefully I can make that  team (Pacific)…”

Soy played 7 games with the Royals last season, plus playoffs and has come into camp in top shape.

“I guess I have to give a lot of credit to my trainer Peter Glover.  A lot of work on the track, and on the hills doing different sprints – I guess that really helped me.”

Soy knows competition will be tough for the few rookie spots on the team with Reddekopp, along with F Matthew Campese and F Regan Nagy in the mix.

“I want to make a good impression and earn my spot on the team and just keep giving it my all - do my best to make the team successful.”


Brandon Magee
At the other end of the spectrum, 19 year old forward Brandon Magee is back with more to prove after not being invited back to an NHL camp over the summer.

“Hopefully this year I can put up some better numbers and hopefully get a camp invite again somewhere …”

Last summer the undrafted Edmonton native skated with the Oilers prospects.

“Obviously it’s disappointing after going to a camp your first year and not your second, but it’s motivation and something to strive for.”

With the letter on his jersey, he looks to continue on with his leadership role and provide the necessary spark for the team.

“I’m kind of the guy they look to, to get the team going…”

Main Camp wraps up Wednesday night with the Intra-Squad game at 7:05 at the SOFMC admission by donation, with all proceeds going towards the GoodLife Fitness Children’s Foundation.

In conjunction with broadcast partners The Zone @ 91.3 and 100.3 The Q!, the Royals will be selling hot dogs, popcorn and pop for only $1.00! Vouchers for dollar dogs, popcorn and pop are available for download and print from  http://www.thezone.fm/events/#royalsintrasquad

Exhibition starts this Friday with 3 games.  They’ll face the Silvertips, Thunderbirds and Americans – all in Everett.