Saturday 24 August 2013

Profile: Brayden Dunn, 4th rd Pick '13

Brayden Dunn
Forward Brayden Dunn was selected in the 4th round of the 2013 Bantam draft, 77th overall by the Victoria Royals.

“I think I’m a good two way forward, I play good in the defensive zone but I can also provide some offense – and I just work hard.”  He said, as I spoke with him during Royals Rookie Camp at the SOFMC.

Playing for his hometown Calgary Northstar Sabres Bantam AAA last season, he put up 24 goals and 53 points in 33 games – good for 23rd overall in AMBHL league scoring.

“I felt I was a good playmaker on the team I got a lot of assists, provided a lot of offense and I was good in the defensive zone – I think I was a plus player so I’m happy about that.”

Dunn got interested in hockey early while watching it on TV.

“I was probably about 2, and an Ottawa Senators game came on, they’ve been my favourite team ever since that day.  My first NHL game was them (Ottawa) against Calgary at the Saddledome.”

While being inspired by favourite players in Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos, and Ottawa’s Jason Spezza, he credits family with what got him to where he is today.

“My parents and grandparents because they’ve provided me so much, and have given me the best opportunity I can have.”

In the offseason you can find the 15 year old camping and golfing and playing a variety of sports – a would be, perfect lifestyle fit on the Island.

It’s only his second visit to Victoria, his first during a tournament in Peewee, but he didn’t get much chance to explore.

“It’s beautiful, it’s nice.  The ferry was fun, I like being on the big boats I’ve been on two cruises before - it’s fun.”


As for Rookie Camp the play-making, two way forward embraced the challenge.

“It’s a good pace, made a lot of new friends, met a lot of new people – it’s been a good experience for me.”


He hopes to go back to Calgary after Royals Camp, and make their Midget Triple ‘A’ team.

-Marlon Martens